When you need an English certified translation of a document from French, it’s important to choose a professional French to English translator like me who is qualified to  provide certified translations from French into English required for official purposes. English certified translations of French documents such as birth, death and marriage certificates, legal documents, academic transcripts etc. are only accepted if the English translation is certified by a practising professional and qualified translator. As a Chartered Linguist and a qualified member of both the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL) and the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI), your documents are in safe hands.

What is an English certified translation?

To certify an English translation, I will translate your document from French into English, and then I will attest that the English translation is a true, complete and accurate translation of the French document.

What do you get for your money? Once I’ve translated your French document into English, I’ll attach a certified statement on company letterhead confirming that a qualified translator (otherwise known as me) has translated your French document into English. This turns your English translation into a certified translation. It will include all my credentials, including my Chartered Institute of Linguists’ (CIOL) membership number and Institute of Translation and Interpreting’s (ITI) membership number. That way, you or the requesting party can check that I am who I say I am by using the Chartered Institute of Linguists’ free online Find-a-Linguist service or the Institute of Translation and Interpreting’s (ITI) member check facilities.

I will also initial and stamp each page of the English translation to prevent any tampering or misuse. My initials, coupled with an ITI Certification Seal to certify my English translation and confirm my professional membership of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI), will clarify that I’ve certified this English translation for you and no one else because only Qualified Members of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI) have access to this official seal. I’ll also sign it to certify that the document is a true, faithful, and accurate English translation of the French document. Signed, sealed, delivered, and it’s yours!

You’ll receive a digital and/or hard copy of your English certified translation along with a few little freebies, including a little card, a cheeky discount code and a few edible goodies. These are to say thank you for choosing to support my small business. I genuinely do a happy dance when you buy from me, but luckily for you, you don’t have to witness that.

What are the requirements of a certified translation?

If you’ve never needed a certified translation for an official purpose before, you won’t know the right questions to ask. Don’t worry. I’ll let you into a little secret. I know the right questions to ask, and soon you will too.

Maybe you’re submitting a UK visa application? In the post-Brexit world that we live in, EU citizens and non-EU citizens may now need to apply for a UK visa. If you’re submitting a UK visa application, according to the UK government, an English certified translation must state the following:

– that it’s a ‘true and accurate English translation of the original document’,
– the date of the translation, and
– the full name and contact details of the translator.

Are you applying for a UK passport? HM Passport Office gives this advice:

Where a document written in French is submitted in support of a passport application it should be submitted with an English translation attached. It should be provided by a translator registered with an official organisation such as the Chartered Institute of Linguists or the Institute of Translation and Interpreting.

First things first, what do you need it for, and what is the purpose of your certified translation?

The purpose can differ drastically depending on the requesting party or use. If in doubt, I always ask my clients to check what the relevant body or person requesting the certified translation requires the English certified translation for. Once you’re clear on what exactly it’s going to be used for, I will ensure your English certified translation satisfies those requirements.

I recently received a referral from a lovely colleague whose client required a “sworn” translation of their PhD certificate and related documents from French into English. After digging a little deeper, they didn’t require a “sworn” English translation. They needed a “certified” English translation. Within minutes of the initial email, I had figured out what exactly it was that they needed because I knew the right questions to ask. By asking for additional information about the English translation’s purpose and the requesting party, I was able to establish the facts and provide crystal clear, accurate advice.

As you can see, the requirements differ slightly depending on who’s asking. So, the moral of the story is: always find out who needs the English certified translation and for what purpose. Then, once I have all the necessary information, I can deliver a certified translation fit for purpose.

So, what’s the damage?

I charge for the French to English translation service as normal, plus a small additional fee for a certified translation from French to English. I’ll be very transparent about the cost from the start, and we’ll agree on this before certifying the English translation. Once you’ve settled up, your certified translation will be signed, sealed, and delivered in no time. If you’re submitting a British passport application, UK visa application or hoping to study at a UK university and they’ve asked you to provide English certified translations of French documents, get in touch with me as soon as possible for a quote so that we can get the ball rolling and to make sure that you have your English certified translations in time for any consular/embassy appointments and important deadlines.

What’s the difference between a French to English certified translation and a sworn translation?

If I had a pound for every time someone has asked me this question, I’d be a rich woman.

Many people throw around the terms “sworn” and “certified” translation interchangeably, but this confuses people. Perhaps you’re used to sworn translators in civil law countries, or maybe you’ve been advised that you need a sworn translation when, in fact, a certified translation would suffice. All you need to know is that unlike in many EU and other civil law countries, the UK does not have a system of “sworn” translators as it is a common law country.

Misinformation can seriously confuse you because you simply don’t know where to turn for the right service. Fear not, I’m here to provide the English certified translation of your dreams for any official purpose. Whether it’s to prove your married or settle your immigration status, you’ll end up with a certified translation that ticks all the boxes.

So, there you have it, the English certified translation process in all its glory, and you can now marry, divorce, or avoid whoever you like.

As a Chartered Linguist and a qualified member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists and the Institute of Translation and Interpreting, I am qualified to provide French to English certified translations for official purposes. Or, if you require a certified translation in another language combination and you’re not sure where to turn, I can put you in touch with a professional translator in my network who is qualified to provide certified translation services in the required language. If you need French to English certified translation services, drop me an email at info@coleytranslates.com and let’s get this show on the road! If you have any further questions about my French to English certified translation services or if you would like a free quote for an English certified translation, ask away and get in touch today